ko-fi

Translate

Welcome To My Darkside




Sunday, August 29, 2010

DIY Halloween Paper Towel Roll and Tealight Candles




This project is all about reusing "throw- a -way" items and re purposing them into something useful. Here I used the cardboard paper towel roll. Something one would normally just throw away can easily be re-purposed into a creative, inexpensive, easy, Halloween decoration or prop. I remembered a how-to I came across in which one created Halloween candles using PVC pipe. I loved the idea and had every intention of doing just that until I remembered I didn't have any PVC, although, I did have a paper towel roll! I really hadn't any idea if it would work just thought I would try anyway. It replaced the PVC perfectly and for the candle flame I used a tea light!

For this project you will need:
Paper towel rolls
Toilet paper rolls
Scissors
Glue gun
Glue sticks
Masking tape
Plastic tea lights
Glass pebbles
Craft paints
Paint brush








Because the candles are made from a light weight paper towel roll the top of the candle will have most of it's weight to carry from the glue, therefore, making it top heavy, which can make it tip over easily. I glued glass pebbles that I had left over from another project to the bottom of my candles to weight it down. You can use anything that will fit into the bottom end of your roll, small rock, bolt, etc, anything that is safe and will give it some weight. Here is how I used the glass pebbles. I lay the glass pebble on the sticky side of my masking tape and then tape it to the bottom of my roll. You can also let the glue slip down onto wax paper the peel the paper off leaving the flatted glue, this will help balance the candle as well.

For the top I take the masking tape and "sticky side" down I place the tealight on it then push the tealight and tape down into the top of the roll, I do this three or four times until the top invert is covered. This will give support for the tealight to sit down into the top of the candle.
It should look like this once you are finished with the tape. The tealight should fit easily down into the support and be flush with the top of the roll. Sorry for the blurry pic.




Now that you have the top and bottom done remove the tealight. You are ready to make the dripping wax part of the candle. To do this take your heated glue gun and place it up at the top ridge of the roll then squeeze the the trigger and let the glue slip down the side of the roll. Do this over and over letting the glue act like the dripping wax. Here you can be as creative as you wish, if you like a really drippy candle then add a lot of glue drips, if you just want a few drips as if the candle has not been lit long then only drip a few. It is completely up to you. Once you are done with this part you are ready to paint it.



Inexpensive acrylic craft paint is my choice for this project, however, you can also use spray paint. I find brush on less messy. I give it a healthy coating of paint then set it out to dry.

Once the black is dry, I take white paint and a soft brush if you do not have a soft paint brush handy, and you don't feel like running to the nearest paint store you can use a large make up brush for applying this part. The brush just needs to be soft. Take your white paint and lightly brush it against the candle this will highlight the raised parts of the candle giving a two tone effect and add definition to the drips.

Now you can paint the top of your tealight to match the candle color or leave it white it is up to you the creator.

The decorating possibility using these home made paper candles are endless they can be used anywhere.Here is a picture of a table display I used some of my candles in.

This is a great project for the whole family. It is easy enough for younger children as long a they have supervision. For everyone else it can
easily be expanded on when imagination is applied the possibilities are endless!
Enjoy!

49 comments:

  1. this looks sooo easy I think I can do this! what great directions!!!! and it's going to make my house look sooooo awesome for halloween. I can't wait to do this project with my kids.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps I'm not artistic and I think I can do this project!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, Excellent!! So cool!! I think you could do them for Christmas too! In reds and greens! You've got my mind going! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xmas! Then you will love the glitter ones I will have up next weekend, they are... well very sparkly! Thanks Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are so cool im going to try to make them this weekend with my kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great Anonymous, I would really like it if you could let me know how they come out! Enjoy and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool, you're putting up glitter ones!! Yeh!! I can't wait ;o)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love this idea! Not only do these look GREAT at the end, they look fun to make :)
    I may just have to give these a try this Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are absolutely AMAZING! I am so impressed. Thank you so much for sharing and I am so excited to try this, just pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing! I just made 4 and I love them! It was so easy and fun to do :) I am a new follower!

    Priscila
    jensennp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Priscilla! Are you going to post the candles on your blog? It would be so much fun to see them. They always come out so great and they are so easy! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a GREAT idea! I love love love it!
    Definitely going to make some of these to place around my "Spell Book". Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HOLY COW how genius! I am going to make these this weekend and will link back to you (if they turn out good.) in our party blog post in a few weeks! AWESOME JOB! THanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there, I just wanted to let you know that we featured your candles on our site today. I attempted to re create these candles and linked back our inspiration to you :) Thanks for the great idea!!

    Corie @ Design DNA

    ReplyDelete
  15. Completely amazing!!! This is so awesome. Totally love it. Thanks for taking part in the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great use of materials! Thanks for linking up to The "Autumn Décor" Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this and I'm pinning it for Fall! Thanks for the tut. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am soooo going to make this today!!! I already have so many projects going but I can't wait. These are so awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made mine and I love them. I used gold metallic paint instead of the white but I think they look really cool. I may have to make some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your candles, is there a link or a picture you can share? I am so happy that you tried them out, they make a great prop for Halloween! Make more! You can never have too many candles! Have fun Dannee and thanks for stopping by and sharing with me that you were successful in making your own!

      Delete
  20. I'm going to try and make these! My husband thinks he already knows how but I'd rather follow your awesome directions :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What material did you use to make legs one the haunted tray. I can't seem to find the how-to on your site for the legs only, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  22. Working on a set for a Halloween bachelor(ett) party, so far ez, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love these, however how are you doing the ones with the graphic paper? how are you getting the "wax" white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi galoosh1

      I paint the glue, which in your comment you referred to as wax, (just wanted to clarify that in case you are knew to this) it is hot glue that I use to make the wax effect. Then I use white craft paint with a small brush and paint it. Thank you, if you have anymore questions feel free.

      Delete
  24. Oh these are fantastic! A definite 'must try"!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just like the helpful information you supply on your articles.
    I'll bookmark your weblog and test again here regularly. I'm fairly sure
    I'll be told plenty of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the following!

    Visit my site gohima.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your way of describing the whole thing in this article
    is genuinely good, all can easily be aware of it, Thanks a lot.



    Feel free to visit my weblog; http://widyawisatabanten.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Are these pretty sturdy? Do they last year after year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyson, Yes they are very durable, they can last a very long time.

      Delete
    2. Do they need to be secured or will they stand up ok as is? Making them this weekend so excited!

      Delete
    3. Not sure if you have made them yet? However, if you place the cardboard tube on wax paper, then let some of the glue melt down the tube and onto the paper on all sides of the candle, let it cool then tear off the paper. They will be steady and not tip over. Hope that helps. Have fun!

      Delete
  28. Hi, how would you do the "glitter" versions of this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same way you make these, when done you coat the candle with white glue and pour the glitter on! You can create a design by just painting some of the drips. Have fun!

      Delete
  29. Thank you! I have them all made up, just need to paint and glitter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is terrific! Would love to see a picture! Happy creating!

      Delete
  30. Hey there! Is there a certain glue gun you've used? Tried this. It for some reason my glue just won't drip. :( I have to glue down in a line and it just doesn't give off the same effect. These are so awesome, my kids want to make them for their rooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just play with the glue! make a thin line going down and when you get halfway just put a generous "lump" of glue at the end. Make some thicker than other glue designs on. It's alot of glue but it looks sooo cool once your done with the whole thing. TOTALLY worth it :]

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lorena for answering the question!

      Delete
    3. Right now I am using a glue gun I picked up from Walmart nothing special. It's an AD tech 2 temp. I go though guns fairly fast so when one goes out I get whatever I can find. It sounds like you may need a new one. The glue should flow effortlessly out of the gun. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  31. Hi, Just wondering how you made the tree branches? How did you form them? Leftover paper towel rolls twisted up? Brown bag? I might have missed that. Just did my first candle, most steps done, but I need to go play with the kids for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your Awesome tutorial was featured on this blog
    http://friggle-fraggle.blogspot.com/2014/10/12-tutorials-for-bloody-halloween.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. This can be consequently lovely along with inventive. I merely enjoy your hues along with anyone becomes the idea inside snail mail are going to be cheerful.
    http://glowpro.news

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your ideas for this easy and fun candle project! Just an added tip for wanting to add a "glitter" look to the candles.... instead of actually sprinkling the glue with glitter, you could try using glitter glue sticks. This way, eliminating the mess and extra steps!😊

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG ur a genius! You made something that looks so complicated and intricate from something as simple as paper towel rolls and hot glue. I wish I could be as inventive. Thank you for making this accessible. NIce job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well done. Great instructions and easy to follow I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete